Thursday 6 November 2014

MY SECOND DOLL - CHANTALLE

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12711763/?claim=u5t4xj8vphd">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
The idea of my second doll came to me unexpectedly. I was buying the necessary materials for my first doll Dorothy and while selecting the clay my eye fell upon a chocolate brown pack of "Living Doll" clay. The colour was amazing - bright and rich hue of delicious Swiss chocolate bar. The shop assistant explained to me that this clay was used for the black Afro-American dolls. I felt an amazing thrill as the numerous vivid Afro-American images flashed in my mind - one by one - jazz musicians, black movie stars, fashion models, street dancers and of course... soul singers! 






That tiny piece of brown clay turned a true revelation for me!  At that very moment I literally saw the doll I wanted to make: a sad and tired blues singer diva. Big melancholy eyes, long lashes, heavy eyelids with silver shadows, plump lips and sharp cheekbones. I heard her harsh and deep voice singing a dramatic blues song somewhere in a New Orleans music bar... Sparkling silver electric rays shine through the heavy and smoky air and light up her sad face.  The people are applauding her but she remains indifferent, she is too exhausted by the fans' annoying admiration, men's ambiguous compliments and her own solitude...

I grabbed a pack of brown clay and started sculpturing the head as soon as I got home. Of course, the task turned much more difficult than I expected: the character face with big eyes and wide nostrils was slipping through my fingers... It took me three days to catch the features and the expression I was striving for. 
My blues diva is wearing a long lilac silk dress with violet lace cuffs. The front slit shows us her slim legs in high-heels silver shoes. Silver leather and lilac silk match the lady's dark skin perfectly. She has long hanging earrings and a long necklace; two rings are sparkling on her fingers: one with a diamond and the other - with an amethyst. 

I called my diva Chantalle.  She is holding a microphone in her hands and is singing a sad blues song. Listen to her and enjoy the melancholy melody and the singer's deep sensual voice. 

Y’en a qui élèvent des gosses au fond d’un H.L.M.
Y’en a qui roulent leurs bosses du Brésil en Ukraine
Y’en a qui font la noce du côté d’Angoulême
Et y'en a même qui militent dans la rue avec tracts et banderoles
Et y’en a qui en peuvent plus de jouer les sex-symbols
Y’en a qui vendent l’amour au fond de leur bagnole

Mademoiselle chante le blues
Soyez pas trop jalouses
Mademoiselle boit du rouge
Mademoiselle chante le blues

Y’en a huit heures par jour qui tapent sur des machines
Y’en a qui font la cour, masculine, féminine
Y’en a qui lèchent les bottes comme on lèche des vitrines
Et y’en a même qui font du cinéma, qu’on appelle Marilyne
Mais Marilyne Dubois sera jamais Norma Jean
Faut pas croire que le talent, c’est tout ce qu’on s’imagine

Mademoiselle chante le blues
Soyez pas trop jalouses
Mademoiselle boit du rouge
Mademoiselle chante le blues

Elle a du gospel dans la voix et elle y croit

Y’en a qui se font bonne sœur, avocat, pharmacienne
Y’en a qui ont tout dit quand elles ont dit je t’aime
Y’en a qui sont vieilles filles du côté d’Angoulême
Y’en a même qui jouent femmes libérées
Petit joint et gardénal, qui mélangent vie en rose et image d’Épinal
Qui veulent se faire du bien sans jamais se faire du mal

Mademoiselle chante le blues
Soyez pas trop jalouses
Mademoiselle boit du rouge
Mademoiselle chante le blues

No comments:

Post a Comment