Friday 7 November 2014

MY THIRD DOLL IS THE FIRST PORTRAIT WORK

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12711763/?claim=u5t4xj8vphd">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
Two of my dolls had already been in progress when I realised that I want to start the third one. And I was absolutely sure who it should be. No doubt!  It will be my husband portrait doll. 

From the very first lesson I was fascinated by the idea to create a portrait doll. In my thoughts I was often sculpturing any random face that attracted my attention in the street or better in the bus or metro. A stranger is sitting in front of you and you have enough time to scrutinise any of his or her features, facial muscles and wrinkles... Such imaginary modelling seemed rather easy. Just take the clay and start kneading it and shape the desired character. At that moment I didn't comprehend how difficult it was!

Why did I pick my husband's image for a portrait doll? The answer is very simple. There were two main reasons for this. First, his face is very interesting for modelling, so called "sculptural" type of face. And second, this is a model which is always available! Invite him to make himself comfortable on the sofa (which he is so eager to do), and he is at your disposal for as many hours as you need. 




It didn't take me long to realise how insidious turned the apparent simplicity of the task. The features which were so dear and familiar to me refused to merge into clay. I always thought that I can recognise this face blindly just touching it and I believed that my finger memory will easily transform my tactile feelings into sculpture. Nothing of that kind!

I had been torturing my clay piece for the whole week. Thanks to my husband, he didn't mind numerous time-consuming posing sessions. Most of the time he was happily lying on the sofa, reading a newspaper or watching TV. From time to time he was checking my work and making some critical remarks, like: "My eyes are much bigger!" or "This wrinkle is not so deep!" This was another revelation for me: every person subconsciously wants to look younger and better than he is. And the artist must do this without loosing the portrait resemblance.

Finally the sculptured head was ready and approved by my husband. I sewed the clothes - a miniature copy of those he wears in his life: jeans, a shirt with a vest and a linen scull-cap. I gave him an umbrella, and his beloved Louis Vuitton handbag, and the newspaper he likes to read. 



Of course, the doll is also called Grigory like its prototype. It has been exhibited at several fairs and now it is peacefully standing on the cupboard. It gives us joy and pleasure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment