Thursday 7 August 2014

MINI-CELLO FOR A TEDDY (Part 1)

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12711763/?claim=u5t4xj8vphd">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
Hi there!

I view my blogging as a daily (or almost daily:))) artist journal. I will be taking notes and pictures of everything I create day by day. Sometimes I work on different items during the day, so I will be making separate blog posts for various jobs and use multiple labels.


Today I start my MINI-CELLO PROJECT.  One of my Facebook friends asked me to make a tiny cello of approximeately 16 cm/6.3" high for her cute teddy.  This funny "teddy cello player" will be gifted to a serious human cello player on his birthday.

The task is very interesting and quite challenging because I have already made some toy cellos of paperclay and papier-mache, but never did them that small. Below are the pictures of my previous "cellos experience":


As for the mini-cello I was ordered I will be making it from paperclay. 
The reason why I picked this material is that the unique texture of paperclay being covered by mordant makes the clay look very much like real wood.  And this is exactly what I need because my cello will be a realistic item. 

First of all I calculated the dimensions of my cello and made a paper pattern.

Then I cut two rough cello silhoettes of thick carton.  They are a bit smaller than the pattern.

I put them together and wrapped by foil.


I covered that "foil-carton" cello with a layer of paperclay.  The shape is not ideal, of course. I should let the paperclay to air-dry a bit before I work out the correct cello shape. So now it looks rather rough.

That's it for today.  I will continue my "cello" project in my further posts.  For the cello making process I will be using the following labels:
  • tutorial
  • musical instruments
  • paperclay
Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment